The road to Nauiyu (Daly River) Community is progressively opening as water levels continue to recede. Closures remain in some places and there is no public access to the community.
The Wooliana Gate will be opened today, with a decision on other gates still to be made.
The Wooliana Road remains closed at the Bamboo Creek crossing and access to the Wooliana (Daly River) boat ramp will remain closed until the water level at the crossing recedes.
Quotes attributable to Superintendent Kirk Pennuto:
- We’d still ask people to keep travel to a minimum to avoid damaging the surface as the road dries out.
- If you don’t live there and don’t work there, please don’t travel to Daly River at this time.
- There is still a lot of water about and we remind people not to try to drive across flooded roads or enter floodwaters at all. As always, remember, “if it’s flooded, forget it”.
- Crocodiles are on the move; the risk from crocodiles remains – please Be CrocWise and stay out of the water.
- Residents in Daly River are asked to continue to manage their water consumption.
- While the tap water is safe to drink, a number of bores remain closed and water should be conserved.
- NTES will continue to distribute bottled drinking water to the community.
PFES Media 0448 402 175