Thank you to the Sandringham, Sandringham East and Sandringham Secondary school communities and local residents for the fantastic cooperation and resilience this week following the weekend fire at Sandy Primary School. Bayside Mayor Cr Clarke Martin visited the schools today to thank the students and teachers for supporting each other during a challenging time.
Council officers have been on site in Holloway Road this week to review traffic and parking arrangements, with further changes from Monday 10 February as follows:
Following a settling period for Sandringham Primary School children and parents at Sandringham East Primary and Sandringham Secondary Schools, parking and traffic management around the schools will change from Monday 10 February.
The new arrangements from Monday 10 February are as follows:
- The one way opening at the Wangara Road end of Holloway Road will close – this will revert to a dead end.
- Parking in front of the secondary school will become 15 minute parking during peak periods to allow parents to park and walk children into school.
- Parking on the secondary school oval parking for parents will cease.
- Timing of the two minute kiss n go area outside the primary school will be changed to 8.15-9.15am and 3-4pm.
- Council parking officers will attend during peak times to monitor and provide education to parents regarding the new arrangements.
Please note that No Stopping parking restrictions around the schools will be enforced for safety issues. Please check signs before parking.
Council will continue to monitor and review traffic and parking arrangements around the schools.
Parents and children are strongly encouraged to walk or ride to school or use the 2 minute zone for speedy drop offs.
Walking, riding or scooting to and from school is a great way to help students learn healthy habits and achieve the recommended 60 minutes of physical activity, every day. Along with the health benefits, walking to school has benefits for the whole community. It reduces traffic congestion, saves on parking, helps us connect with family and friends and even saves the environment.
Revised parking and traffic arrangements from 10 February
As a result of a weekend fire at Sandringham Primary School, students from the school will temporarily relocate to Sandringham East Primary and Sandringham Secondary College from Tuesday 4 February.
Temporary traffic changes in Holloway Road, Sandringham
To accommodate increased traffic and demand for parking around the Holloway Road area, the following changes will be in place:
- Holloway Road will be temporarily opened up to one way through traffic to George Street, Sandringham during peak school periods – 8-9.30am and 2.30-4pm.
- A drop off zone and parent parking area will be established on the oval at Sandringham Secondary.
- Additional School Crossing Supervisors will attend the school crossings on Bluff, Bay and Holloway Roads.
- Traffic controllers will direct traffic on Holloway Road and into and out of the secondary school drop off/parking area
- A new 5 minute parking zone established on Holloway Road adjacent to the secondary school oval.
These measures will be introduced from Tuesday 4 February and reviewed and adapted as required.
Council will continue to work with the schools and Department of Education to ensure the safety of students, parents and local residents during school drop off and pick up times.
Please follow the directions of traffic controllers.
Thank you to school parents and local residents of the local area for your patience during this challenging time for the school community.