Joint Media Release
Wine the winner in workshop series
Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources, David Littleproud
Senator for Tasmania, Steve Martin
25 March 2019
- Wine Australia hosting tourism and export workshops for Australian wineries
- Part of Coalition’s $50 million Export and Regional Wine Support Package
- Workshops to help wineries develop products to build tourism and exports
Australian wineries will soon be better equipped for wine tourism and to boost export opportunities.
Minister for Agriculture David Littleproud said the Coalition Government had doubled the number of workshops to help make Australian wineries export ready and better prepared for tourists.
“This is about being loud and proud about Australian wine,” Minister Littleproud said.
“Wine Australia will run 50 export workshops and 26 tourism workshops so smaller wineries can make a big splash around the world.
“Workshops will be run in every Australian wine region over seven months.
“Australian wine is a big hit with international critics but our wine isn’t just for the elite.
“We also want the world to know about our once-in-a-lifetime wine tourism experiences.
“Our wineries are set in idyllic landscapes with friendly communities ready to roll out the red carpet.
“It’s time we got our wineries on bucket lists the world over.”
Senator for Tasmania Steve Martin said the workshop and seminar series were part of the Coalition Government’s $50 million Export and Regional Wine Support Package.
“The support package is a three year plan to increase the value of wine exports up to a record $3.5 billion and attract an additional 40,000 international tourists to Australian wine regions—who are worth $170 million to the Australian economy,” Senator Martin said.
“With Wine Australia, we are committed to helping the Australian wine industry reach its potential.”
For more information on Wine Australia’s export and tourism workshops, and to register visit
- Australian wine exports are set to top 800 megalitres, worth more than $2.8 billion.
- Australia is the world’s 6th largest wine producer and the 5th largest exporter.
- Australia exports two thirds of local wine worth $2.82 billion in 2018.
- Australia’s top five markets by value are: China ($1.14 billion), USA ($425.9 million), UK ($389 million), Canada ($210 million) and New Zealand ($93 million).