Your Top 10 Rights At Work During Pandemic

Unions NSW

How to convert annual leave to sick leave, what to say if you’re positive and told to work and how to refuse covid unsafe duties are some of the top tips unions are sharing using a new web resource designed for young workers.

The online tool answers the most frequently asked questions outlining a step-by-step process to deal with each.

“It’s a tough conversation standing up to your boss but it’s much easier when you know the rules and have someone in your corner protecting you,” says Unions NSW Assistant Secretary Thomas Costa.

“We are so frequently asked the same questions we decided to put all the answers in the one place so casuals juggling different jobs and time poor students can get a quick guide to dealing with difficult situations in real time.”

Top Ten questions include:

Q. Can I convert annual leave to sick leave?

A. Yes, if you are full time and if you tell your employer as soon as practicable. You may be asked to provide a doctor’s certificate.

Q. If I’m positive, do I have to work?

A. Your employer can’t force you to work if you are sick or in isolation.

Q. What if my work environment is not covid safe?

A. You can cease work under section 84 of WHS Law.

Q. What if I get covid at work?

A. Income support for an illness acquired at work is available through a compensation claim. You have the right to see your own doctor.

Q. I live with my elderly mother who has covid, do I have to work?

A. You will qualify for carers leave if you are full time. Casuals should consult their union.

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).