Late last year we asked you to share your ideas for our 2019/20 budget.
Your feedback helped us create a draft budget that supports the services and facilities that our growing community needs.
It delivers on our long-term vision to become smarter and more sustainable through our use of innovative technologies.
Our new wireless network will allow us to track Council assets in real time, telling us (for example) when a public bin needs to be emptied or a street light needs to be changed.
Our Climate Emergency Plan will empower every member of the Yarra community to reduce their carbon emissions.
This year’s budget also supports our trailblazing recycling trial, which is expanding to include a separate glass collection.
We’re embracing a smart city approach to provide a more targeted, timely and cost-effective service for the community.
The draft budget also continues to foster a strong and sustainable financial position for the city.
We now invite you to visit our Your Say Yarra budget page.
Submissions must be received by 5pm on Friday 17 May.
Budget at a glance
• $188.9m total operating expenditure
• $31.3m for capital works projects and other new initiatives
• $2.1m for community grants
• 2.5% increase in general rate revenue (in line with the State Government rate cap)
• 2.5% increase in Yarra’s additional rate rebate for pensioners (now $187.10)
• $2.4m for upgrades to facilities at Ryans Reserve and Kevin Bartlett Reserve, Richmond
• $1.4m for traffic and safety initiatives in Abbotsford, Richmond and North Fitzroy
• $1m for trees throughout Yarra (a $200,000 increase on last year)
• $900,000+ on bicycle infrastructure across Yarra, including completing separated bicycle lane in Wellington Street, Collingwood
• $560,000 to improve streetscapes in Swan Street and Bridge Road, Richmond
• $485,000 for improving storage and designing enhancements to boating facilities in Fairfield Park, Fairfield
• $70,000 to redevelop the Carlton Library Courtyard
• $60,000 to make Council Meetings more accessible via livestreaming