Are you interested in helping to shape the future of Mitchell Shire Council on important issues like mental health and youth services? Get your nomination in to join the Youth Council.
There are nine members, three for each ward, with fortnightly meetings, events and functions, leadership and development excursions and a leadership camp.
The three main aims for Youth Council are to:
- Help Council understand issues and problems from the perspective of young people
- Provide advice to Council about how concerns can be addressed
- Develop local initiatives and programs for young people
- Advocate on matters that affect young people.
The current Youth Council has been very active and was a finalist in the 7News Young Achiever Awards in the Victorian Government Group Achievement category for their advocacy work in the mental health space.
The current Youth Council was also instrumental in the 2019 Federal Election advocacy campaign to highlight mental health and road concerns throughout our community.
To apply to be on Youth Council you need to be aged 13 to 24 years and live, work or study in Mitchell.
- Complete a Mitchell Youth Council 2019-20 Application form (available on the website)