The City of Stonnington is proud to support Respect Victoria’s Respect Women: ‘Call It Out’ campaign. The campaign is part of the global 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence, which runs from 25 November to 10 December.
The theme of this year’s campaign is ‘Respect Is…’ and messages of equality and respect will be highlighted across the state.
City of Stonnington Chief Executive Officer Jacqui Weatherill said: “This is a time to actively promote gender equality and take a stand to end men’s violence against women.
“We are running a number of programs/initiatives to support the campaign including:
· Hosting an ‘Respect is…’ email signature banner on all staff emails
· Displaying ‘Stonnington says no to family violence’ video campaign and light up the Art Poles in Prahran Square orange.
· Sharing booklists for children, young people and adults, which challenge traditional gender stereotypes and ‘Respect is…’ bookmarks.
· Educating care workers about warning signs of Elder Abuse and support pathways available
· Including information in Maternal and Child Health Services including appointments and parenting sessions.”
The City of Stonnington received $2,500 from Respect Victoria to run initiatives and increase the community’s understanding of respect during the 16 days and beyond.
Statistics show that one in four women have experienced violence by an intimate partner since the age of fifteen (compared to one in thirteen men).
The City of Stonnington is committed to working closely with our networks such as women’s health services, family violence networks, libraries and local businesses to spread this important message and prevent family violence,” said Ms Weatherill.
All 79 Victorian councils as well as 18 specialist non-government organisations are involved in the state-wide Respect Women: ‘Call It Out’ campaign. The Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria (DVRCV) and Victorian Council of Social Service (VCOSS) are also partnering with the Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) to provide their expertise.