Baw Baw Shire Council is set to receive $2.2 million in State Government funding to support the delivery of two key infrastructure projects for the Shire: the Queen Street, Warragul Streetscape Project and the Rollo Street, Yarragon Masterplan.
The Growing Suburbs Fund supports fast-growing local government areas within Victoria to enable them to deliver high-quality facilities for their expanding communities. As one of the fastest growing regions in Victoria, Baw Baw Shire Council is delighted to welcome the 2022-23 funding round allocation for:
- Queen Street, Warragul Streetscape Project – $673,962
- 3-5 Rollo Street Yarragon Community Open Space Reserve – $1,528,132
Queen Street, Warragul Streetscape Project:
The Queen Street design is the 9th and final stage of the Warragul CBD Streetscape Project that commenced in 2016 to help manage the population growth and development in Warragul.
The project aims to create a more pedestrian friendly precinct with improved safety and access for both road users and pedestrians alike.
The works will include:
- Re-establishment and extension of significant tree avenue along the south side of Queen Street
- Installation of a centre median between Smith Street and Mason Street to provide traffic calming, and an opportunity for a mid-block pedestrian crossing
- New line-marking, including bike lanes, median and turning lanes
- Renewal and relocation of the public amenities block to adjacent the existing bus stop to improve passive surveillance and safety.
- Provide for improved pedestrian and disability accessibility by:
- Addressing existing footpath crossfall issues to enable widening of the shared pathway
- Providing a widened pathway from the TAFE to the existing Normanby Place shared pathway
- Implementing kerb outstands and refuge islands at the Queen Street and Gladstone Street intersection to enhance pedestrian and vehicle safety.
- Renewal of the Queen Street Park public toilets
- Retention of existing parking bays
- Retention of afterhours taxi rank at the existing Queen Street bus stop