Armed Crime Squad detectives are today announcing a $350,000 reward regarding an attempted armed robbery and non-fatal shooting in August last year.
Detectives are also releasing CCTV footage as part of the ongoing investigation after an armed man entered the convenience store on Springvale Road in Springvale South just before 4.30am on Wednesday 8 August, 2018.
It is believed the masked man followed a customer into the store and then approached the front counter and made demands for cash.
The 40-year-old staff member attempted to lock himself in a store room behind the counter and the offender then discharged a firearm.
The staff member sustained a gunshot wound to his arm during the incident and was later conveyed to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The customer was uninjured.
The male then tried to access the till but was unsuccessful and fled the scene on foot in a southerly direction.
An information caravan has also been set up today with detectives from the Armed Crime Squad in attendance until 4pm.
They are hoping people who regularly travel in the Springvale South area around the time the shooting occurred are able to recall any vital information that can assist with the investigation.
The information caravan will also be set up tomorrow from 4am until 5pm.
Detectives are encouraging anyone who may recall seeing any people or vehicles behaving in a suspicious manner in the Springvale, Springvale South area prior to the incident are able to provide that information to detectives.
Detective Inspector Dean Thomas from Armed Crime Squad said, police are hoping the footage released today will assist in identifying the man involved.
“We are confident someone out there knows him and we are appealing for those people to come forward and provide any information to us,” he said.
He is perceived to be African appearance and about 180cm tall.
At the time of the incident he was wearing a beanie, black and white bandana, dark coloured top and dark coloured pants.
Detective Inspector Thomas said the victim who was shot during this incident is extremely lucky not to have sustained more serious injuries.
“He was going about his business at his workplace and has the right to feel safe doing so,” he said.
“He has suffered significant physical and mental trauma and we are keen to solve this on his behalf.”
Police are also continuing to investigate whether the incident is connected to an earlier attempted armed robbery at a service station on Heatherton Road near Hosken Street just after 4am.
A reward of up to $350,000 will be paid at the discretion of the Chief Commissioner of Police for information leading to the apprehension and subsequent conviction of the person or persons responsible for the shooting and attempted armed robbery.
In appropriate cases, the Director of Public Prosecutions may consider, according to established guidelines, the granting of indemnification from prosecution to any person who provides information as to the identity of the principal offender or offenders in this matter.
Any payment of a reward will be subject to the applicant signing a deed of confidentiality prior to payment.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au