The six award winners, nominated by their friends and families, were chosen by a committee made up of five experienced individuals who work in the not-for-profit, media and animal welfare sectors.
The RSPCA WA Animal Welfare Award winners for 2020 are:
- Joint Animal Award winners: Rambo and Captain Cat
- Humane Award winner: Dean Huxley
- Community Action Award winner: Dreamers Dream Wildlife Rehabilitators
- Youth Award winner: Mikayla Evans
- Volunteer of the Year Award winner: Janet Ingham
Joint Animal Award winner Rambo the Mastiff X had been volunteering with Story Dogs Perth for three years, before taking a break recently due to illness.
Rambo’s owner Linda Williams said: “He would listen without judgment as the students read out loud to him to improve their confidence. He loved his volunteer work and loved the treats that he earnt after each student had read to him.”
Linda said Rambo was his usual chilled self when he heard about his award win, but that she’d help him celebrate with his favourite treats – peanut butter and sardines.