Australian man charged with six terrorism offences

A man, 31, extradited to Victoria on Sunday, has today (4 December 2022) been charged with six terrorism offences by the AFP Victorian Joint Counter Terrorism Team.

The man will appear in Melbourne Magistrate’s Court court to face charges of:

  • Engage in hostile activity in a foreign state, contrary to section 6(1)(b) of the Crimes (Foreign Incursions and Recruitment) Act 1978 (Cth); which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment;
  • Engage in a hostile activity in a foreign country, contrary to section 119.1(2) of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth); which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment;
  • Be a member of a terrorist organisation, contrary to section 102.3(1) of the Criminal Code Act 1995(Cth); which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years’ imprisonment;
  • Advocate terrorism, contrary to section 80.2C(1) of the Criminal Code Act 1995(Cth); which carries a maximum penalty of 5 years’ imprisonment;
  • Provide support to a terrorist organisation, contrary to section 102.7(1) of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth); which carries a maximum penalty of 25 years’ imprisonment or 15 years imprisonment if reckless; and,
  • Entering or remaining in a declared area, contrary to section 119.2(1) of the Criminal Code Act 1995(Cth); which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years’ imprisonment.

AFP Acting Assistant Commissioner Sandra Booth today assured the community there was no imminent risk to public safety.

“The man has been in police custody since he was deported from Türkiye last week,” Assistant Commissioner Booth said.

“The warrant for the man’s arrest was issued in November 2016, by the Registrar of the Melbourne Magistrate’s Court.

“The AFP Victorian Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCTT) has worked tirelessly on this investigation since March 2015 to ensure this man could be brought before the courts.

“The AFP and our partners are committed to keeping Australians safe.”

Victoria Police Counter Terrorism Assistant Commissioner Michael Hermans said today’s result came from a tireless and collaborative effort from Victoria Police and the AFP as part of the JCTT.

“The safety of the Victorian community is Victoria Police’s number one priority and we will continue to work with our partners to ensure this,” Assistant Commissioner Hermans said.

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).View in full here.