Batteries in bins start fires

Bass Coast Shire Council is urging the community to keep batteries out of their bins.

Waste facilities and collection trucks are seeing an increase in fires and smoulders, with the most common cause being batteries that have been disposed of in kerbside bins.

Batteries, battery operated electronics and e-waste cannot be disposed of in any kerbside or street bins and instead should be recycled at one of Council’s waste facilities.

While all batteries are a fire risk if they are punctured or come into contact with metal, rechargeable lithium-ion batteries (used in laptops, mobile phones, power drills and toys) can overheat on their own and start a fire.

Some common household batteries (AA, AAA, C, D and 9V only) can be dropped off at ALDI supermarkets, while batteries of all types can be taken to Council’s waste facilities free of charge.

The batteries Council collects are recycled and importantly, kept out of landfill.

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.