Big W & Woolworths
BIG W and Woolworths pledge $200k to stand together to support schools in bushfire impacted regions
Friday, 10 January 2020: With back to school around the corner, BIG W and Woolworths are standing together with schools in communities impacted by bushfires with the donation of at least $200,000 in gift vouchers.
The BIG W and Woolworths Supermarket vouchers will enable schools to provide support to local families and communities impacted by bushfires as kids return for the school year.
The donation will see at least $1,000 in BIG W and $1,000 in Woolworths Supermarket vouchers to around 100 schools*.
The schools will be free to use the gift vouchers to support students and their families in line with local needs.
Managing Director of BIG W, David Walker said; “The bushfires have impacted a large number of families across many parts of Australia. Many of them will soon need to prepare their kids for the return to school.
“To help schools in these impacted regions, we are providing gift vouchers to schools so they can support students and families in need of a helping hand.”
Managing Director of Woolworths Supermarkets, Claire Peters said; “This donation provides additional support from the Woolworths Group to communities impacted by bushfires.
“With kids heading back to school soon, we hope that the gift vouchers will help schools have the right support locally to lighten the burden for families in these regions during this challenging time.”
This pledge from BIG W and Woolworths Supermarkets is part of the Woolworths Groups ongoing support to local communities impacted by natural disasters and the current bushfires.
- To date, more $3 million has been committed by the Woolworths Group and its customers to to bushfire relief efforts. This includes:
- More than $1 million directly to Woolworths store teams in bushfire impacted communities across Australia to help them provide tangible support on the ground to local rural fire crews, charities and customers impacted by bushfires in their local community.
- $1.7 million in customer donations to the S.T.A.N.D (Support Through Australian Natural Disasters) Salvation Army bushfire appeal.
- $500,000 additional investment by the Woolworths Group into the S.T.A.N.D (Support Through Australian Natural Disasters) partnership with The Salvation Army.
- BIG W has donated essential household goods and clothing to Good360 to help provide support to charities providing relief to those impacted by the bushfires.
- Woolworths and BIG W have also supported the shipment of essential items to at least 12 evacuation centres in various parts of the country over the past few weeks.
- Woolworths Group extended paid leave entitlements to four weeks for Enterprise Agreement team members who volunteer for rural fire services.