The Victorian Government’s level crossing construction blitz is underway with works at Mentone and Cheltenham station ramping up. From Saturday 23 May, workers will be on site around the clock until late July.
This is the biggest level crossing construction blitz ever undertaken. Trains are expected to be back up and running by Monday 27 July. The new Mentone Station will open on Monday 3 August, with the new Cheltenham Station opening on Monday 17 August.
Finishing touches on the stations, car parking, landscaping and works on the new walking and cycling path will continue until the end of the year.
Due to the level crossing removal works, there are road closures in the area.
- Balcombe Road, Mentone will be closed to vehicles between Como Pde W roundabout and Swanston Street from Thursday 14 May to Monday 22 June. There is a free pedestrian shuttle available.
- Charman Road, Cheltenham will be closed Saturday 23 May to Thursday 11 June. There is a free pedestrian shuttle available.
- Park Road, Cheltenham will be closed from Saturday 23 May to Monday 8 June. There is a free pedestrian shuttle available.
- Local access only to Churchill Avenue, Cheltenham and Edward Street, Cheltenham from 23 May, while major works take place.
- Stanley Avenue, Cheltenham closed to through traffic from Thursday 19 March until mid 2020.
Detours and traffic management will be in place to keep the community moving safely through the area. Access to homes, schools, shops and businesses will be maintained.
The Level Crossings Removal Project website has more information regarding road closures and changes to public transport routes.