In good news for our national cultural institutions, there will be an additional $22.9 million in the Federal Budget as they recover from the impact of COVID-19 shutdowns.
Like many others in the cultural and creative sector, our major institutions have lost revenue from visitors, exhibitions and donations during the pandemic.
The funding comprises:
- $2.3 million for the Australian Film Television and Radio School
- $2.0 million for the Australian National Maritime Museum
- $2.5 million for the National Film and Sound Archive
- $4.5 million for the National Gallery of Australia
- $5.4 million for the National Library of Australia
- $3.9 million for the National Museum of Australia
- $1.2 million for the National Portrait Gallery of Australia, and
- $1.1 million for Screen Australia
In 2018–19 Australia’s national cultural institutions attracted over 10.6 million visitors (including traveling exhibitions) and had more than 49.5 million visits to their websites. Nearly a million objects from the national collections are now accessible to the public online.