Regional Operations Group officers have charged a man following a series of incidents last night, 15 September 2020.
Officers were patrolling in the Rockingham area following reports of three burglaries occurring between 7pm and 9:30pm (two in Shoalwater and one in Safety Bay). A Honda CR-V was stolen from the first burglary in Shoalwater.
Around 9:30pm officers sighted the Honda on Rae Road, Rockingham and attempted to stop the vehicle. It will be alleged that the driver evaded police and drove recklessly through Rockingham, Hillman, East Rockingham, Kwinana Beach, Calista, Wellard and Leda before officers successfully deployed a tyre deflation device.
The Honda came to a stop, however as officers stopped, the driver accelerated into the side of a police vehicle causing damage. The Honda continued for a short distance and drove into a park off Bilya Gardens, where the driver alighted from the vehicle and was taken into custody (around 9:40pm).
A 40-year-old man from Parmelia has been charged with:
• Reckless driving exceeded the speed limit by 45 km/h or more on a length of road
• Two counts of No authority to drive – suspended (other than fines suspension)
• Breach of Bail
• Three counts of Aggravated Burglary and commit
• Three counts of Stealing
• Steal Motor Vehicle and Drive Recklessly
• Reckless driving to escape pursuit by police
• Driver of a vehicle failed to comply with a direction to stop (circumstance of aggravation)
He will appear in the Rockingham Magistrates Court today, 16 September 2020.