Six Queensland churches can now start or expand programs which support their local communities thanks to financial assistance from Carinity.
The communities of Beenleigh, Annerley, Harristown, Bridgeman Downs, Elanora and Helensvale will benefit from a total of $36,440 in Carinity Innovation Grants.
Supporting people to reintegrate from prison into their communities, feeding struggling families, and upskilling people to find employment are among the Queensland Baptist church initiatives to be funded by Carinity.
The Carinity Innovation Grants attracted submissions from Baptist churches from Townsville to the Gold Coast including regional areas such as Dalby, Stanthorpe, Charters Towers and Rosedale.
“The number of submissions for innovative ministry concepts shows that Christian communities are continuing to step up to support local community needs,” Carinity CEO Jon Campbell says.
“The grants support Queensland Baptist churches to start a new community outreach, expand an existing successful ministry or collaborate to introduce a Carinity service into the community.
“Over the past 14 years, Carinity has helped kick-start more than 130 church initiatives through grants exceeding $400,000 in total.
“Engaging with churches to gain insights into how they are servicing their community is important to us.”
The 2019 Carinity Innovation Grants recipients are:
- Annerley Baptist Church (Annerley) – Provide a temporary safe haven to shelter the homeless and domestic violence victims in small houses
- Beachside Christian Church (Palm Beach) – Circuit Breaker course to help break the cycle of domestic violence, counselling support and charity events for local women’s refuge
- Beenleigh and District Baptist Church (Beenleigh) – Provide spiritual and practical care for ex-offenders in their rehabilitation back into the community after leaving prison
- Bridgeman Baptist Community Church (Bridgeman Downs) – Purchase customised BBQ/heating trailer, gazebo and gas heater to provide healthy meals to the homeless
- CrossLife – A Baptist Church (Helensvale) – New oven and cooktop for weekly lunch and activities for people living with a disability
- Toowoomba Community Baptist Church (Harristown) – Community garden to provide free fresh produce and nutrition education to the financially disadvantaged