Guy Barnett,Minister for Primary Industries and Water
The Hodgman Liberal Government is a strident supporter of the Tasmanian seafood industry and applauds the winners and nominees from Saturday night’s 7th biannual awards.
The signature ”Stay Afloat” Awards are a partnership initiative between Rural Alive and Well and the Tasmanian Seafood Industry Council in a bid to tackle mental health and well-being within the industry.
They also celebrate excellence within the seafood industry, its professionalism and its commitment to supply the finest seafood in the world to local, national and international markets.
By any measure, the seafood industry is a major contributor both economically and socially to Tasmania.
The gross value of wild capture and marine farming product is worth around $1 billion to the Tasmanian economy, not including the value added by the post-harvest sector, and it also employs thousands of Tasmanians, many in regional communities.
The Hodgman Liberal Government continues our strong support for our world-class wild catch and farmed seafood sector as evidenced by investment of $13.8 million in the 2019-20 Budget.
With support from the TSIC, we are also supporting the transition of commercial fishing into the digital age with a $5 million investment into building capacity for automated real time data transfer.
A special mention to the Mures Family for winning the prestigious Industry Ambassador Award, in addition to three other awards – fitting recognition for one of the industry’s pioneering families.
Congratulations once again to the TSIC and Saturday’s award winners and also to the extremely valuable partnership with Rural Alive and Well to help address the stigma of mental health in our seafood industry.
Full Winners List:
- The Mures Family Industry Ambassador Award
- Mures Large Business Award
- Mures Primary Producer Award
- Mures Lower Deck FRDC Best Fish and Chips Award
- Lobster Shack Tasmania Seafood Restaurant Experience Award
- Aqua Grill Franklin Casual Dining Award
- Freycinet Marine Farm Small Business Award
- Offshore SMS Safety Award
- Australan Seafood Industries RD&E Award
- Eat More Seafood AWBF Showcase Promotion Award
- Centrostephanus Collaboration Environmental Stewardship Award
- National Seafood Industry People Development Award
- Scott Mactier Young Achiever Award
- Fraggles Fish and Chips FRDC People’s Choice Fish and Chips Award
- Bryan Denny, Dawn Jordan, Joe Oakley, Greg ‘Ringer’ Shea and Chris Parker received Recognition Awards for their contribution to industry.