From Wednesday 13 May 2020 Council will begin easing the COVID-19 restrictions in place on the Library, the Customer Service Desk and certain community programs.
CEO Chris Cowley said that Council’s goal is to reopen the library and customer service desk as soon as possible while still supporting and protecting residents and employees.
“The Library and Customer Service desk will open from Wednesday 13 May with modifications,” Mr Cowley said. “Council will take a cautious approach to reopening services to ensure that the proper risk assessments, extensive cleaning and installing protective equipment, like plexiglass screens, are completed to ensure the safety of our residents and employees”, Mr Cowley said.
It will continue to be business as usual for the Ranger services and compliance teams, field services from the depot, the rapid response team and waste collection and management.
The modifications to Council’s services include:
- The Civic Centre Library will open from 9.30 am Wednesday 13 May and normal hours will be reinstated under modified conditions. A ‘browse and borrow’ approach will be in place with patrons asked to move quickly and efficiently through the library area. The library computer facilities will remain closed for public use. As the library has been closed for approximately two months, it will take some time for resource levels to return to usual levels and our library returns to be processed. eResources for reading books and magazines are still available.
- Library returns (books, toys, DVD’s etc) are being accepted from midday on Monday 11 May 2020. All returns are to be brought to the Bill Dean Lounge north/west entrance adjacent to the toy library car parks.
- The Civic Centre Customer Service Desk is open for normal hours of business from Wednesday 13 May. Stringent new measures will be in place to ensure social distancing and limited public numbers, and access, to the area such as new plexiglass screens and markers.
- Access to all community centres will be restricted.
- Council run community programs will commence with a staggered approach to reinstating offerings and services – only where safe and permissible to do so. This will be delivered where allowed for under the ten person and spacing rules. This will likely be on a first come, first serve basis. Contact will be made with hirers on a program by program basis.
- The Community Centre Service Desk is open with social distancing and limited public numbers rules in place.
- All playgrounds, exercise equipment and the #rideburnside pump track are open.
You are encouraged to bring your own hand wipes, sanitiser and wash your hands after use.
Please adhere to social distancing rules, and remember no more than 10 people per gathering, as you and your child enjoy the playgrounds in our City.
- The new public gathering limit of 10 persons (as at 11 May) be in place for personal training and boot camps in City of Burnside parks and reserves.
- All events on Council premises will comply with Federal Government guidelines. There will be no new bookings taken during this time.
- The George Bolton Swimming Centre and Tusmore Wading Pool are now closed for the winter season.
- The Commonwealth Home Support Program will continue to provide certain essential wellbeing services. Non-essential services will cease.
- Volunteers and the volunteer program will temporarily cease. Casual staff are tasked to provide the services of the volunteer program.
- The Regal Theatre is closed.
- Pepper Street Art Gallery is closed.
- Recognising these unprecedented circumstances, Council will not impose late fines or interest on the fourth rates instalment for 2019/20 that are due on 1 June 2020.
- Sports clubs and other hirers of recreational facilities will be asked to abide by the advice of their official professional body and the Federal Government.
- Council meetings will continue online.
- All creditors paid within 14 days to drive small business cash flow.
- Assistance with Rates Hardship is available for residents affected by unemployment, reduced income, loss income or retirees with self managed funds.