Council will soon start construction on the Gembrook Leisure Park playground after endorsing a tender for the works.
Key upgrades to the park will include a new adventure playground, shelters and barbecues, a multi-use (basketball, netball and soccer) sports court and a state-of-the-art skate park.
Additional elements of the project include:
- Pathway connections into the park
- Additional sealed accessible parking
- Hangout space with interactive technology to play music
- Space for scooters, BMX and skateboards with mounds and rails
- Passive lawn area with barbecue shelters and tables
- Play space
- Accessible play, including a range of interactive play on a rubber surface
- Adventure and climbing play equipment with a flying fox
- Nature play
- Public toilet accessibility upgrades
Cardinia Shire Mayor Cr Graeme Moore said that through the community consultation process, the park has remained a community-driven facility and would continue to help local residents participate in a range of sport, recreation and leisure activities.
“Originally completed in 2000, the play space was a community driven and delivered project, and was one of only a few of these types of adventure playgrounds found across Melbourne,” Cr Moore said.
“Through consultation with the local community, it’s envisaged the park will maintain this reputation and help to meet the needs and expectations of our residents. Thank you to everyone who contributed their ideas and feedback.”
Construction is set to commence in August 2019, and is expected to be completed in February 2020.