The Policy was originally adopted by Council in September 2017, and was scheduled for review after the general election in 2020. However, a key report has been published by the Victorian Information Commissioner which requires the policy to be updated sooner.
The report from the Victorian Information Commissioner made four recommendations:
- That councils review their privacy policies, unless they have done so in the last year
- That explanations for the process of accessing and correcting personal information are reviewed
- That plain English drafting principles are considered when conducting reviews
- That the policy is well written
- That the policy does not address all of the IPPs and as such Council should consider reviewing the policy to ensure it explores how Council adheres to all the Information Privacy Principles
- That Council consider including information in the policy concerning Council’s privacy complaints process
By adopting the updated policy, Council ensured it addressed recommendations for improvement.