Hornsby Shire Council has forged a new partnership with GoGet to bring a car sharing service to the Hornsby Shire community. This agreement, which aims to reduce the negative impacts of private car ownership, follows the adoption of Council’s Car Share Policy in April 2020.
Council will run a car share trial for 12-18 months across eleven locations in Hornsby, Pennant Hills and Waitara. These suburbs were selected based on accessibility, proximity to high density residential buildings and proximity to public transport.
“Car sharing is a really important step in tackling congestion and parking challenges in the Shire,” Hornsby Shire Mayor Philip Ruddock said.
“It will help reduce the reliance on second vehicle ownership in households, while providing a cost-effective choice for residents in the type of vehicle they can access on demand and depending on their need, whether it’s moving home or doing the weekly shopping.”
Christopher Vanneste, Head of Locations at GoGet said that “GoGet is excited to work with Hornsby Shire Council to bring a new transport option to residents and businesses of the Hornsby Shire”.
“GoGet’s cars and vans will be available 24/7 to help locals decrease their transport costs and free up parking on local streets.”
“Each car share vehicle has been shown to take ten private vehicles off the road, and families and businesses can save thousands of dollars by giving up their primary or secondary car and using car share instead.”
Car sharing provides local residents with access to a range of vehicles located near to where members live or work. All car costs including petrol, insurance and registration are covered by GoGet, a competitive alternative to personal car ownership for both businesses and households.
Council is providing a mix of on-street car parking for authorised car share vehicles during the trial, which will test the level of demand and interest for this service locally.
GoGet vehicles are now located at the following sites:
- Hornsby – Albert Street near Water Street
- Hornsby – Linda Street near Hunter Street
- Hornsby – May Street near Muriel Street
- Hornsby – Muriel Street near Florence Street
- Hornsby – Peats Ferry Road near Coronation Street
- Hornsby – William Street near Peats Ferry Road
- Pennant Hills – Yarrara Road near Ramsay Road
- Waitara – Alexandria Parade near Waitara Avenue
- Waitara – Park Avenue near Park Lane
- Waitara – Romsey Street near Leonard Street
- Waitara – Waitara Avenue near Edgeworth David Avenue