Council proposes staged re-opening of road closures in Quay/QUAY2

Council implemented a number of temporary road closures between the Quay and QUAY2 developments in Torquay North on 13 July 2020. The changes were introduced by Council to support the release of land in the QUAY2 estate in advance of completion of key infrastructure connecting the estate to the Surf Coast Highway, while also avoiding undesirable traffic impacts on local roads to the east and south of the QUAY2 development.

“Council had already heard different concerns from various stakeholders and was seeking to balance a range of issues. We understand that we have not pleased everybody and have committed to measure, monitor and share what we see happening in this part of the road network,” said Anne Howard, Council’s acting CEO.

“Traffic counter data along Merrijig Drive and the streets exiting QUAY2 during August and September has given us a greater understanding about the current traffic volumes moving along Merrijig Drive and coming and going from the new estate. As we committed, this information is available and can be found on Council’s website”

“Many things have changed since the original traffic planning was done in 2012, and even since Council made its decision to install the temporary closures. The impact of COVID-19 restrictions on reducing traffic flow is material and we need to consider what changes to restrictions may mean for the road network as we plan next steps”

Rosser Boulevard and Merrijig Drive, as collector roads, are considered the most suitable roads to support access into the QUAY 2 estate while construction traffic volumes are high and while Rosser Boulevard/ Surf Coast Highway intersection planning and construction works are underway.

“We understand not everyone is happy with this approach and we have had some interference with the barriers and even private property damaged,” said Ms Howard. “We will continue to promptly address these issues when they are brought to our attention.”

As a result of the new traffic information, as well as feedback from stakeholders, a three-step approach to re-opening the roads has been proposed:

  • Step One: Removal of road closure on Centreside Drive

This barrier is proposed to be removed during the week commencing Monday 19 October, 2020. Re-opening Centreside Drive will allow re-distribution of traffic from the north-east part of QUAY2 across Hunter, Scott and Centreside, but is unlikely to be an attractive route for much of the QUAY2 estate, which can be serviced by more direct routes through Rosser Boulevard and Merrijig Drive.

  • Step 2: Removal of road closure on Inshore Drive

It is proposed that Inshore Drive will be opened when 50% of residences within Stages 14, 15 and 16 of the QUAY2 development are constructed. These stages of the development are those that are most likely to access the south via Inshore Drive. Waiting until this area is well-established will avoid high volumes of construction traffic from using the local roads while the construction of new residences gets underway in these stages.

  • Step 3: Removal of road closures on Marine and Glengarry Drives

It is proposed that these two streets will be opened when 75% of residences within Stages 14, 15 and 16 of the QUAY2 development are constructed. At this point of development there would be expected to be much less construction traffic expected within the whole development and we expect that traffic will largely be residential. This will reduce the impact of this traffic on the areas of concern around Hilltop “pirate” park, as well as streets to the south of the estate through Glengarry Drive.

If the traffic signals at the intersection of the Surf Coast Highway, Rosser Boulevard and Coombes Road are completed before steps 2 or 3 triggers are reached, the barriers may be removed.

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.