Toowoomba Regional Council (TRC) has today (29 April) approved a raft of economic relief options, including a $125 rate concession for the majority of rateable properties throughout the Region.
In addition to the rates concession, Mayor Paul Antonio said Council had agreed on some further options for the community, equating to more than $10.5 million in economic relief.
“The Coronavirus pandemic has disrupted life around the world and added a new set of challenges for governments, businesses, families and the entire community,” Mayor Antonio said.
“We’ve never been through anything like this in our lifetime, and it’s vital we respond accordingly, which is why we’ve approved these items today.
“We’ve had a thorough look at all our options, and we believe the package approved today will provide the most help to all of our residents.
“It’s important to note, that this is a staged approach by Council, and we will continue to implement further initiatives as we move forward. These announcements will focus on accelerating capital works projects specifically designed to inject money into the local economy.
“We’ve also made sure Council’s support initiatives are complementary to packages provided by the Federal and State Government. It’s important we aren’t duplicating support, but rather ensuring those who aren’t already receiving assistance are given the help they need.”
As part of the economic relief options, Council has approved the following measures:
- Extend the Water Rates discount period from 12 May to 23 June 2020
- Waive interest on overdue rates and charges calculated at 30 June 2020
- Postpone the sale of land for overdue rates and charges for the 2020 calendar year
- Extend animal registrations from 30 June to 30 September 2020
- Provide a 100% rent relief package for small businesses that occupy Council-owned properties for the months of April, May and June
- Refund 50% of the food licence fees for the 2019/20 financial year for fixed premises
- Refund 50% of personal appearance retail licence fees for the 2019/20 financial year
- Provide free parking (at Council’s on and off-street parking) from 30 April 2020 to 30 June 2020 (time limits still apply and will be enforced by Council officers)
- Waive credit card surcharges for all transactions at Council’s Service Centres
- Provide community groups, including sporting organisations, with grants for up to $499.