SLC is urging returning full time undergraduate students in Wales to submit their student finance applications by the deadline on 25 June.
Students must apply for student finance for each year of study and should do so before the deadline to ensure their finances are in place at the start of the new academic year. To apply, students simply sign into their online account to confirm their details on the online application and submit their application.
Chris Larmer, SLC Executive Director, Operations, said: “As expected, we have seen a very strong demand for our full-time undergraduate service this year with application levels reaching record highs. Our advice to returning students is to apply now so they can be confident that they will have their student finance in place when their studies continue in the Autumn.”
The deadline for new full time undergraduate students in Wales to apply for their student finance passed earlier this month. Applicants who missed the deadline should apply online now and if they are eligible, they will receive a basic funding package when their studies begin. A top up payment will be made as soon as their full application is processed.
To support all students with their applications, SLC has made information available to help answer some of the most common questions about applying for student finance. Students can also keep themselves up-to-date on the latest information by following Student Finance Wales on Facebook, and Twitter.
Returning students should apply online at https://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/discover-student-finance and remember:
- Students in Wales can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to pay for tuition fees and a Maintenance Loan to help with living costs. They can also apply for a Welsh Government Learning Grant which doesn’t need to be paid back.
- Applications can take six to eight weeks to process. Students do not need to contact SLC during this time to check on the status of their application. They will be contacted if any additional information is needed.
- Once a student has applied their application will be processed and they will be notified of their funding entitlement. They will be contacted again closer to term start to let them know that their payment is on track.
- Students can also check their application’s progress in their online account and view a ‘to do list’ of any action they need to take.
- Parents and partners (sponsors) of continuing students may also need to update their information if they are supporting a returning student’s application. Once a student submits their application the named sponsor(s) will receive an email explaining the steps they need to take.