Disaster assistance extended for more flooded Queensland communities

Minister for Police and Corrective Services and Minister for Fire and Emergency Services The Honourable Mark Ryan

Disaster assistance has been extended to further support flood impacted residents and communities in Central, Southern and Western Queensland as the flooding emergency continues to unfold.

Support includes personal hardship payments for the impacted residents of Inglewood.

Assistance is being provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).

Minister for Emergency Management and National Recovery and Resilience, Senator the Hon Bridget McKenzie said Personal Hardship Assistance grants are now available for Inglewood residents who were evacuated ahead of the major peak in the Macintyre Brook on Tuesday night.

“Grants of up to $180 per person, to a maximum of $900 for a family of five or more, are available to eligible people experiencing financial hardship and distress as a result of the floods,” Minister McKenzie said.

“In addition, the local councils of Banana, Barcaldine, Goondiwindi, Lockyer Valley, Maranoa, Scenic Rim, South Burnett and Toowoomba can rest assured the costs of clean-up and restoration will also be covered by the DRFA.

“We continue to stand shoulder to shoulder with these communities to assist in repairing the damage caused by these events.”

Queensland Minister for Fire and Emergency Services Mark Ryan said grants are also available to assist the safe reconnection of essential services once people return to their homes.

“It is essential that all those hardest hit by the recent floods have access to the assistance they need to help them get back on their feet,” Minister Ryan said.

“I would like to extend my thanks to the local authorities in Inglewood who organised such a swift and orderly evacuation Inglewood on Tuesday night to ensure the safety of the community.

“The activation of the DRFA will ensure these people have the support they need as they return home as the waters recede.

“When it comes to floods, as Queenslanders we’ve been here before and we know we will recover, but I would like to remind everyone to remain vigilant around floodwaters and remember, if it’s flooded – forget it.”

This assistance adds to the disaster assistance already available in Barcoo, Blackall-Tambo, Boulia, Diamantina and Southern Downs as a result of the widespread flooding earlier in November.

The Australian and Queensland Governments continue to work closely to support ongoing recovery efforts and identify where further assistance can be provided to ensure all impacted communities have the best possible support.

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).View in full here.