Disaster assistance is now available for local councils in South Australia following the severe weather, heavy rainfall and flooding between 21 January and 2 February 2022 which has caused significant disruption to communities and key transport infrastructure routes.
Assistance is being provided for 14 Local Government Areas in northern, central and western parts of the state through the jointly-funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).
Minister for Emergency Management and National Recovery and Resilience, Senator the Hon Bridget McKenzie said a low-pressure system and associated surface trough developed over South Australia, bringing with it severe thunderstorms and heavy rainfall related to ex-Tropical Cyclone Tiffany.
“The event has caused significant disruptions to communities and key transport infrastructure routes have been closed and damaged, significantly affecting supply chains,” Minister McKenzie said.
“The Australian Government has also provided assistance with the delivery of food and supplies to communities affected by road and rail disruptions in South Australia, including working with industry and states and territories to increase freight capacity into Western Australia, put in place alternative road routes into the Northern Territory and airlifted food to Coober Pedy.”
“We continue to stand side by side with South Australians who have been impacted by this severe weather event and we are ready to provide additional assistance measures once further recovery needs assessments have been undertaken by the state,” Minister McKenzie said.
Disaster assistance is available for counter disaster operations and the restoration of essential public assets in 14 affected LGAs: Cleve, Coober Pedy, Elliston, Flinders Ranges, Franklin Harbour, Grant, Kimba, Lower Eyre Peninsula, Pastoral Unincorporated Land, Port Augusta, Roxby Downs, Streaky Bay, Tumby Bay and Whyalla.
South Australian Premier, Steven Marshall said the State and Federal Governments were doing everything they could to help affected communities, fix the infrastructure damage as quickly as possible and make sure there is food and medical security for cut-off communities.
“No stone has been left unturned in our efforts to help our regional communities who have been dealt a fierce blow with many extreme weather fronts over the last few weeks,” Premier Marshall said.
“A significant logistical and coordinated multi-agency response has been required to make sure affected communities have been looked after – and I thank the Federal Government for today confirming disaster assistance is now available for 14 local council areas.
“The South Australian State Emergency Service has received over 840 requests for assistance related to the unprecedented weather event a few weeks ago, which has caused enormous damage to our communities.
“This initial assistance will ensure councils can cover the costs associated with clean-up activities, repairing roads and keeping communities safe.
“Last week I saw first-hand just how hard our emergency service personnel were working to keep our communities safe and I extend my grateful thanks to them, to all agencies working together and of course the Australian Defence Force for the many trips they have done to drop important food and medical supplies into affected communities,” Premier Marshall said.
The South Australian Government has established an initial Storm and Flood Damage Information hotline for affected community members, who can call 1 800 302 787 between 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.
For more information about the National Recovery and Resilience Agency go to www.recovery.gov.au