Glenferrie Road between Dandenong Road and Evandale Road will be closed to all traffic from 10pm Friday 7 April to 5am Friday 21 April 2023.
The Department of Transport and Planning (DTP) is closing the road to undertake important bridge strengthening and tram track renewal works on the bridge over Malvern Station between Como Street and Station Street in Malvern.
These works complement already completed bridge and tram track renewal upgrades along Glenferrie Road including at Gardiners Creek and between Barkers Road and Riversdale Road.
Works will ensure the structural integrity of the bridge into the future and allow heavier vehicles and all classes of trams to travel on Glenferrie Road without restriction.
The 24 hour works program will begin from 10pm Friday 7 April and be completed by 5am Friday 21 April, from which time the street will reopen.
A recent DTP project update included the following important information:
Roads and parking
- Glenferrie Road will be closed to traffic between Dandenong Road and Evandale Road from 10pm Friday 7 April to 5am Friday 21 April.
- No traffic access to Como Street, Station Street/Glenferrie Road intersection and Malvern Central carpark from Glenferrie Road.
- Left turn onto Glenferrie Road only from Malvern Central carpark.
- Access to Como Street via the alleyway off Dandenong Road.
- Access to Station Street from Claremont Avenue/Station Street intersection.
- Temporary street parking losses on Station Street and on Glenferrie Road, between Dandenong Road and Evandale Road.
- Detours will be in place, with Kooyong Road and Tooronga Road via Wattletree Road the best alternatives.
- Access to local residences and businesses will be maintained, however vehicles will not be able to travel across the bridge.
- Please follow signs and traffic management around the works.
Buses will replace trams on Route 16 between Stop 48 Hawthorn Road and Dandenong Road and Kew from 2am Saturday 8 April to last tram on Wednesday 19 April.
Tram services resume from first service on Thursday 20 April.