Hurstville Aquatic Leisure Centre was evacuated at 10.00am Monday 5 April 2021 following the quick action of staff when they detected odour caused by faulty anti-siphoning valve in the plant room that regulated acid usage.
As a precaution, the NSW Ambulance Service was called to attend the site. The NSW Fire Service also attended and it was able to confirm the cause of the odour and by 1.15pm declared the Centre safe.
Some media reports have described the incident as an acid spill, these reports are incorrect.
Council also commends the quick action of the Bluefit staff of the Centre in ensuring all customers and staff were evacuated promptly and safely. As always the safety of customers, community and staff is the first priority.
The Centre reopened at 5:30am on Tuesday 6 May 2021. We welcome the community to visit the Hurstville Aquatic Leisure Centre, enjoy its school holiday programs; take part in its Health Club for various interactive classes, sports activities; and fully utilise its gym and swimming facilities.