Griffith leaders are urging residents to show compassion and kindness as local COVID-19 numbers increase.
Griffith Mayor, Councillor Doug Curran and Multicultural Council of Griffith, President Carmel La Rocca said it is important for locals to abide by the current health guidelines to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
“Wearing masks is about being considerate to others for the common good,” Councillor Curran said.
“While this pandemic is happening it is important that we show respect and patience to everyone especially those working in medical and retail settings who are just doing their jobs.”
Mrs La Rocca said an increase in the number of cases in Griffith and the surrounds in recent weeks meant it was even more important for people to do the right thing.
“There has been an increase here due to the Omicron variant so mask wearing is an important barrier to protect yourself and everyone else,” she said.
“Regardless of your background or beliefs, we all need to show thoughtfulness towards others and are required to follow the COVID rules currently in place.”
NSW Health strongly advises people get fully vaccinated and wear a face mask where they cannot physically distance.
When face masks are required:
- all people in NSW over the age of 12 are required to wear a face mask:
- in an indoor area of premises other than a place of residence
- in an indoor area on common property for residential premises
- at a public transport waiting area
- in a vehicle or vessel being used to provide a public transport service
- working at a hospitality venue and dealing directly with members of the public
- on a domestic commercial aircraft, including when the aircraft is flying above NSW.
- all staff and students in Year 7 and above, and all staff in K to 6, must wear medical grade masks. Medical grade masks will be supplied to all schools. All students in K to 6 are also strongly encouraged to wear medical grade masks.
Stay up to date with all of the current rules and restrictions, helping to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in NSW https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/stay-safe/rules