A man has been charged as part of an ongoing investigation into public place shootings in Sydney’s south and south west.
Detectives from the State Crime Commands Criminal Groups Squad, assisted by St George and Bankstown Police Area Commands, commenced inquiries into several incidents – which are being treated as targeted and linked – under Strike Force Cruikshank.
In one of the incidents, about 10.15am on Saturday 4 January 2020, a silver Mercedes AMG approached the intersection of Daisy and Gordon Parker streets, Revesby, when a black matte Mercedes Benz reversed and struck the AMG.
Police will allege the driver exited and fired a number of shots towards the AMG, which drove away.
The occupants of the AMG – a 38-year-old man and two children, aged seven and nine – were not injured.
Following extensive investigations, strike force investigators arrested a 44-year-old man at Wagga Wagga Police Station about 9.40am yesterday (Tuesday 7 April 2020).
The Arncliffe man was charged with 10 offences including;
- drive conveyance taken without consent of owner,
- drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous,
- negligent driving,
- not give particulars to other driver,
- robbery armed with offensive weapon cause wounding/grievous bodily harm,
- discharge firearm etc intend cause grievous bodily harm,
- wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm,
- be carried in conveyance taken without consent of owner,
- in company assault with intent to rob while armed dangerous weapon, and
- discharge firearm etc intend cause grievous bodily harm.
Police will allege in court that the man was the driver of the black matte Mercedes Benz and fired shots at the driver of the AMG.
It will be further alleged the man shot another man in the leg and stole his car following a crash on Belmore Road near Rotary Park, Riverwood, in December 2019.
The man appeared at Wagga Wagga Local Court today (Wednesday 8 April 2020), where he was formally refused bail to re-appear at Liverpool Local Court on Tuesday 26 May 2020.
Investigations into a shooting at Arncliffe on Friday 27 December 2019 are continuing under Strike Force Cruikshank.
Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Cruikshank investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.