A $5.9 million upgrade of McGregor Road in Smithfield will provide motorists with a suitable link to the Smithfield bypass, which is due to be completed late 2021.
As well as providing better access to the Smithfield bypass, the upgrades will also accommodate forthcoming commercial development along McGregor Rd at the intersection of Faculty Cl and a yet unnamed road.
The opening of the bypass will significantly increase traffic on the McGregor Rd, particularly through the McGregor Rd/Faculty Cl intersection and along the unnamed road to the south, which will provide access and egress from the Smithfield Bypass.
The upgrade to McGregor Rd will include:
- Signalisation of the McGregor Rd/Faculty Cl/unnamed road intersection.
- Upgrade of McGregor Rd between the Captain Cook Highway and Faculty Cl.
- Upgrade of the unnamed road to a median divided road.
- Installation of a roundabout on the unnamed road at the entrance to the commercial development.
- Street lighting upgrades to McGregor Rd/Faculty Cl/unnamed road intersection and along the unnamed road.
- Footpaths to provide pedestrian connectivity through the intersection and linking with the Smithfield Bypass shared pathway.
Council will receive funding from both the Department of Transport and Main Roads and the developer as the project in part is necessitated by their works.