The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) is seeking feedback from industry on proposed amendments to the Mining Act 1978.
The Streamlining (Mining Amendment) Bill 2021 aims to make legislative changes to improve efficiencies for the application and assessment of environmental approvals and support economic recovery following COVID-19.
DMIRS Executive Director Resource and Environmental Compliance Karen Caple said: “Through the introduction of a low impact notification for the automated authorisation of low impact activities and the introduction of a single approvals statement for mining operations, the department hopes to modernise the regulatory framework and further reinforce a risk and outcomes based approach to regulation.
“This approach will also allow the department to redirect its focus to higher risk matters.”
The Streamlining (Mining Amendment) Bill 2021 is now available for public comment until Friday 25 June 2021 and an information sheet with details on the proposed amendments is available online.
DMIRS will be holding a number of information sessions in May in Perth, Bunbury and Kalgoorlie to provide an overview of the Bill.
To attend an information session, please register promptly on the Eventbrite website:
- Date: Friday 14 May 2021 10.30am – 11.30am OR Tuesday 25 May 2021 1pm – 2pm
- Location: DMIRS Office, 1 Adelaide Terrace East Perth
- Date: Tuesday 18 May 2021 11.30am – 12.30pm OR 2.00pm – 3.00pm
- Location: DMIRS Office, Cnr Hunter and Broadwood Streets, West Kalgoorlie
- Date: Friday 21 May 2021 11.00am – 12.00pm
- Location: DMIRS Office, Bunbury Tower 8th Floor 61 Victoria Street, Bunbury.