The Morrison Government is committed to putting Australian energy consumers first, while ensuring households and businesses can continue to access the energy they need at an affordable price.
The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) has today released compliance and enforcement priorities for 2021-22.
The COVID-19 pandemic has presented many challenges to vulnerable energy consumers, which is why the Government will continue to ensure energy companies do the right thing by Australian consumers.
Minister for Energy and Emissions Reduction Angus Taylor said the priorities include a major focus on protecting energy consumers who are experiencing financial difficulty.
“The compliance and enforcement priorities released today build on the Morrison Government’s track record of taking strong action to ensure energy companies are putting customers ahead of their profits, and energy costs are not a burden on Australian households and businesses,” Minister Taylor said.
“This has included the introduction of new, tougher penalties in the national energy laws, the Big Stick legislation and a Statement of Expectations for energy companies to provide extended relief to Australian households and small business customers experiencing financial hardship through the COVID-19 pandemic.”
The 2021-22 Budget also provided $23.7 million for the AER to support compliance and enforcement activity.
The AER’s key compliance and enforcement priorities for 2021-22 are:
- Effective identification of consumers in financial difficulty and offer of payment plans that have regard to the consumer’s capacity to pay;
- Ensure exempt seller compliance with exemption conditions, including consumer access to Ombudsman schemes;
- Focusing on registered generators’ compliance with AEMO dispatch instructions and their ability to comply with their latest offers at all times;
- Ensure service providers meet information disclosure obligations and other part 23 National Gas Rules obligations; and
- Ensure timely and accurate gas auction reporting by registered participants.