Plans to improve Garema Place are underway, with the ACT Government’s City Renewal Authority today sharing proposed designs for community feedback.
The designs – now available on the YourSay website – outline a less cluttered area with more greenery and dining opportunities.
City Renewal Authority Acting CEO Craig Gillman is calling upon the community to help inform the upgrade.
“This Garema Place upgrade will create a safer, more accessible and useable central meeting place for people,” Mr Gillman said.
“In creating a more open and beautiful new space, this upgrade will support safety, improve pedestrian access and increase economic activity.
“We consider Garema Place to be the community’s living room in the City Centre – so we want input on what the upgrade should look like. Complete the online survey to have your say.”
Proposed features include:
- Accessible single-level pavement and easier pedestrian flow
- Better lighting to create a safer and more appealing precinct in the evenings
- Improved seating and outdoor dining spaces to enjoy food and drink from local businesses
- Trees and gardens to cool the space in summer and let the sunshine through in winter
- An open and versatile space that supports both special events and everyday activities
The project builds on upgrades to City Walk in 2020 and is about creating a bustling central precinct and gathering place with important flow-on benefits for the local economy.
Visit the YourSay consultation webpage for more details, to view the proposed designs and provide input: yoursayconversations.act.gov.au/garema-place-upgrade
The consultation closes 14 May 2023.