A man has been charged after a firearm and ammunition were found during a vehicle search in the state’s north west yesterday.
About 10.30am (Tuesday 12 January 2021), officers from Oxley Police District were conducting proactive patrols when they stopped a vehicle on the Kamilaroi Highway, Narrabri.
Officers spoke with the driver, a 53-year-old man, and subjected him to a roadside drug test which proved positive.
The man’s vehicle was searched with police seizing a firearm and more than 350 rounds of ammunition.
He was arrested and taken to Narrabri Police Station where he was charged with
• Possess unauthorised firearm
• Possess unregistered firearm
• Possess ammunition without holding licence/permit/authority
• Acquire firearm – subject to prohibition order, and
• Acquire ammunition subject to prohibition order.
The man was refused bail and is due to appear in Moree Local Court today (Wednesday 13 January 2021).
Further charges are dependent on the outcome of the roadside drug test.