Queenslanders are being urged to drive safely as holidays come to a close and students head back to the school gates next week.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said with families heading home this weekend from destinations right across Queensland and gearing up for the first day of Term Two, it was vital everyone keep an eye out for each other on the roads.
“The transition between holidays and the first day back at school is always an exciting time for students and families, and a safe journey will make sure it remains a happy day for everyone,” Mr Bailey said.
“If you’re on the roads, please take extra care, plan additional time into your journey and be on the lookout for our youngest Queenslanders as they head home and back to school.
Mr Bailey said already 83 lives had been lost on Queensland roads so far this year, 25 more than the same time last year (as at April 15).
“We know the majority of crashes are caused by the fatal five, and I’ve read too many reports this year that still show people taking too many risks on our roads.
“I’m urging drivers to avoid the fatal five: speed, fatigue, driving without a seatbelt, drink/drug driving and distraction.
“The Palaszczuk Government is investing more than $1.18 billion to make our roads safer, including installing flashing school zones signs at hundreds of Queensland schools, but everyone has a role to play.
“Police will continue to have a strong presence on our roads in 2021 alongside random speed cameras, and they’ll be joined by new random cameras that can detect when you’re using your phone while driving or not wearing a seatbelt.”