As the Northern Rivers continues to prepare for the effects of Tropical Cyclone Oma residents in the Tweed and Byron Shire Local Government Areas are being notified they are able to access sandbags to help in protecting their property.
A Severe Weather Warning has been issued for the Northern Rivers, reaching from Tweed Heads south to Yamba.
Abnormally high tides, damaging and hazardous surf conditions and damaging winds may cause sea water flooding of low lying areas and coastal erosion.
The State Emergency Service is urging residents to be alert, not alarmed and if you live in a coastal area:
- Checking your property regularly for erosion or inundation by sea water, and if necessary raise goods and electrical items.
- Ensure gutters, downpipes and drains are clear.
- Remove tree branches that are close to your house.
- Don’t walk, ride your bicycle or drive through flood water, and keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- Staying out of the water and well away from surf-exposed areas.
- Please check on neighbours and the elderly who may need assistance.
Residents looking to access sandbags need to REGISTER PRIOR TO PICK UP BY PHONING 132 500.
|Mullumbimby SES Unit||29 Coolamon Scenic Drive, Mullumbimby||Between 7am and 4pm from Friday 22nd February|
|Tweed Heads SES Unit||157 Pioneer Parade, Banora Point||Between 9am and 12 noon Friday 22nd February|