Mornington Peninsula Shire is set to receive $2.25 million towards the Flinders Civic Hall redevelopment through the state government’s expanded Growing Suburbs Fund.
The current Flinders Civic Hall (located at Cook Street Flinders) was first opened in 1966 and is in poor condition and in need of significant improvement.
After extensive consultation with key stakeholders and the community in 2019, Council resolved to provide the Flinders community with a new and improved building to meet the current and future needs of its users.
The facility will be home to a wide variety of community groups and services including: Flinders Art Show, Flinders Arts Group, Flinders Community Association, Flinders Lions, Flinders Probus and Flinders RSL. Classes for older adult exercise, palates, Yoga classes and other activities.
Some redesign features include:
- Multipurpose hall with elevated stage and designated storage area and unisex change room facilities.
- Large terrace/porch providing better connections to the outdoor precinct area.
- Two multipurpose purposes for a range of community programs and activities.
- Improved all accessibility inclusions including all access ramps at the entrance, inside the facility and throughout the precinct and carparking.
- There is now an opportunity for a drop in centre space to be added to the hall.
Mornington Peninsula Shire Mayor Councillor Sam Hearn said: “We want to thank the State Government as we are thrilled to be receiving $2.25 million towards the essential Flinders Civic Hall redevelopment!
“We’ll be working closely with key stakeholders and community groups to ensure the Flinders Community Hub will be a fantastic resource for its users”.
Red Hill Ward Councillor David Gill said: “This project is a welcome improvement for the Flinders community.
“Updating the hall but keeping it in tune with village character is a great outcome. The hall will have more capacity to meet the needs of local groups”.
To stay up to date with both of this project visit: mornpen.vic.gov.au/majorprojects.