Sixteen young Gunnedah people are on their way to exciting new careers with the help of a Gunnedah Community Scholarship.
The Gunnedah Community Scholarship Fund is a partnership between Gunnedah Shire Council and the Gunnedah Shire community that provides scholarships for students starting on their tertiary education journey.
Gunnedah Shire Mayor Jamie Chaffey said it was important to provide support for young members of the community as they started this exciting step.
“The Gunnedah Community Scholarship is now in its 20th year, and this year close to $22,000 in scholarships were awarded,” Cr Chaffey said.
“It is wonderful that Council and the community can provide some support for students as they begin their tertiary education. The funding can go towards moving expenses, living expenses or books. It’s a helping hand that shows their community supports them in their journey.
“This would not be possible without the support of businesses and the community, who sponsor these scholarships. It is a really practical partnership that works to help out our young people.
“I congratulate the recipients and wish them well in their studies.”
The recipients of the 2023 Gunnedah Community Scholarship Fund are:
• Lucy Merlehan (Bachelor of Nursing, University of Newcastle)
• Aimee Randall (Bachelor of Nursing, University of Newcastle)
• Lara Hewitt (Bachelor of Nursing, University of Canberra)
• Imogen Taylor (Bachelor of Nursing specialising in Midwifery, University of Notre Dame)
• Julia Jones (Bachelor of Psychological Science, University of Newcastle)
• Ashlyn Summers (Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science – Diagnostic Radiography, Charles Sturt University)
• Yasmin Thomas (Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science, University of Newcastle)
• Ellyn Blinman (Bachelor of Education – K6 – University of New England)
• Alice Dorrington (Bachelor of Education – Primary – University of Newcastle)
• Molly Houguet (Bachelor of Education – Primary – University of Newcastle)
• Callie Jeffrey (Bachelor of Education – Primary – University of Newcastle)
• Lachlan Moore (Bachelor of Education – Secondary – University of Newcastle)
• Annalise Martin (Bachelor of Law, University of New England)
• Annie Lyne (Bachelor of Criminology, University of New England)
• Cooper Bedggood (Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering – Honours – University of Newcastle)
• Harry Fairfull (Bachelor of Engineering – Mechanical – Honours – University of Southern Queensland).
The recipients were congratulated at a ceremony at the Civic this week.
Caption: Some of the Gunnedah Community Scholarship recipients for 2023 (from left): Harry Fairfull, (behind) Molly Houguet, Alice Dorrington, (behind) Lara Hewitt, Lucy Merlehan, Ellyn Blinman, (behind) Cooper Bedggood, Annie Lyne, Callie Jeffrey, (behind) Lachlan Moore, Aimee Randall, Yasmin Thomas, Julia Jones and Annalise Martin. Image: Gunnedah Times.