The Construction and General Divisional Executive met in Canberra on 18 & 19 June 2019 at its
regular scheduled meeting.
Divisional Executive makes the following statement.
- Divisional Executive affirms that the democratic rules of the Union provide for election by,
and accountability to the members who elect officials. John Setka along with all other
leaders of our Union has been elected and is supported by the democratic structures of our
Union. John has the full support of the Construction and General Division.
- The Union reaffirms its complete opposition to all forms of family violence. Safety, fairness
and dignity are equally important on the job and in the home.
- The Construction and General Division strongly condemns the use of untruthful leaks from
- At no time at the NEX meeting on 5 June 2019 did John Setka criticise or denigrate Rosie
Batty or indeed any campaign against family violence. We strongly support her campaign.
- John’s heartfelt account of his personal life in recent months was received by most in the
room in the same genuine spirit in which it was delivered. Leaks and other acts of treachery
only provide ammunition to conservative forces seeking to destroy trade unionism in
Australia, and the living standards of workers in this country.
- The Union will not