Due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, some international students who would otherwise have returned home will instead remain in Australia for the summer break.
In response, across Australia, student hubs, study destination agencies, governments, and city councils are providing summer holidays programs and activities to support international students. These range from online, virtual networking and learning opportunities, to face-to-face social and festive events. A number of student hubs are inviting international students to join them for Christmas Day and end of year celebrations.
- International students in Sydney will be connected and supported through Study NSW’s Summer Program of free or low-cost events and activities, including virtual internships and the City of Sydney Networking Skills 101 Program.
- In Victoria, the Department of Education and Training has a range of activities for students and their homestay families including free tickets to attend tourist attractions such as the Melbourne Zoo. The department has also launched a guide to help the state’s government schools support their international students over the summer break.
- A line-up of events, workshops, and festive vibes are available for the Gold Coast international student community. The Gold Coast Student Hub is providing workshops to improve English language and job seeking skills, along with free social events such as the Live Music and Farm Animals event and Gold Class Movie Sessions.
- The ‘Summer in Adelaide‘ program offers international students hundreds of free and discounted events – including regional tours, cooking classes, social events and employment workshops.
- In Tasmania, international school students can enjoy a summer school program that includes English classes, Indigenous education, and tourism experiences.
- The StudyPerth Student Hub is providing activities ranging from employment workshops to networking nights and social events.
These state and territory, and city destination programs demonstrate Australia’s care and support for international students who are unable to return home for the holiday season. They are offered in addition to various education provider based activities that are also being provided throughout Australia.