Sydney is calling locals and visitors to feel the Sydney Side of Summer as the city gears up to host its hottest summer ever with a jam-packed schedule of major music, art, culture, and sporting events.
Kicking off from today at OPEN FOR LUNCH and continuing through to 2023, the city will come alive with concerts, sporting matches, blockbuster musicals and museum openings, all set against the backdrop of Sydney’s golden beaches, glittering harbour, thriving dining scene and abundant national parks.
Minister for Tourism and the Arts Ben Franklin said this summer season is set to be Sydney’s biggest and best yet.
“The program of major events coming to Sydney this summer is unrivalled, from opera performances on the harbour and major international sporting events such as Aus SailGP, to the Art Gallery of NSW Opening Festival, New Year’s Eve and Sydney WorldPride, Sydney is the ultimate summer playground,” Mr Franklin said.
“The NSW Government through Destination NSW has also programmed three additional major events taking place in December and January; OPEN FOR LUNCH, Noël Sydney and ELEVATE Sydney, which will bring the community together and bolster the city’s already brimming line up of arts, culture and sporting experiences.
“We are committed to delivering fantastic events that not only provide fun and entertainment for Sydneysiders but also attract visitors from all over the world to experience the Sydney side of summer and position NSW as the major events capital of the Asia Pacific.”
Major events taking place in Sydney through to 2023 include:
- Cinderella: Until 29 Jan 2023
- Sydney International Art Series Do Ho Suh: 4 Nov – 26 Feb 2023
- Come from Away: 5 Nov – 12 Feb 2023
- Carmen on Cockatoo Island: 25 Nov – 18 Dec 2022
- OPEN FOR LUNCH – Sydney/Parramatta: 2 Dec 2022
- Adrian Villar Rojas: The End of Imagination (AGNSW): 3 Dec – mid-2023
- Noël Sydney: 9 Dec – 24 Dec 2022
- Madagascar the Musical: 16 Dec – 1 Jan 2023
- United Cup (ATP Cup tennis): 29 Dec – 8 Jan 2023
- Sydney New Year’s Eve: 31 Dec 2022
- ELEVATE Sydney: 3 Jan – 7 Jan 2023
- Sydney Festival: 5 Jan – 29 Jan 2023
- HSBC Sydney 7’s: 27 Jan – 29 Jan 2023
- Aus SailGP: 18 Feb – 19 Feb 2023
- Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour: Madama Butterfly: 24 Mar – 23 Apr 2023
- Sydney to Hobart: 26 Jan 2023
- Australia Day: 26 Jan 2023
- Moulin Rouge! The Musical: Until 28 Jan 2023
- Sydney World Pride / Mardi Gras: 17 Feb – 5 Mar 2023
Sydney’s 2022-2023 event calendar currently includes 84 major events and is forecast to deliver over $500 million in visitor expenditure for NSW.
The summer line up of events will be supported by a major marketing campaign inviting visitors to come feel the Sydney side of summer through PR, outdoor billboards and radio. ‘The Sydney Side of Summer’ campaign will run from 20 November to 28 February.