Postcodes across Queensland have been compared to determine which areas have the most residential rooftop solar, with Toowoomba the fourth highest in Queensland.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said over 722,000 Queensland homes have solar.
“Together, Queensland’s homes account to over 3.5 GW capacity, that’s more generation capacity than Qld’s 2 largest power stations combined (Gladstone 1,680MW, Stanwell 1,460MW),” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“I want to thank every Queenslander who has helped lower electricity prices and our carbon footprint by installing solar panels on their home – your home is powering the state.”
Energy Minister Mick de Brenni said a new solar system is connected every 11 minutes in Queensland.
“Toowoomba’s 4350 postcode has the fourth highest number of residential rooftop solar customers in Queensland with over 12,250,” Mr de Brenni said.
“Nearby 4352 postcode came in at number 33 on the list.
“Queensland not only leads the nation but also the world in rooftop solar.
“While rooftop solar supplied 8.9 per cent of Queensland’s total energy needs last financial year, in the middle of the day it can represent more than 40 per cent of generation.
“Bundaberg’s 4670 postcode again tops not only Queensland, but the national solar stakes, with over 15,600 solar PV customers.
“This is followed by the 4655 postcode at Hervey Bay, which has over 14,000 solar PV customers.
“Caloundra is in third position.”
Overall Queensland continues to be the nation leader in rooftop solar, outstripping the other states with almost 88,000 more installations than its nearest rival, New South Wales.
Mr de Brenni said the Clean Energy Regulator data shows the southern states are starting to catch on to the important role household systems can play in providing clean energy into the grid.
Queensland Top 10 solar postcodes
- 1st 4670 (Bundaberg) = 15,600 solar households
- 2nd 4655 (Hervey Bay) = 14,000 solar households
- 3rd 4551 (Caloundra) = 12,800 solar households
- 4th 4350 (Toowoomba) = 12,200 solar households
- 5th 4740 (Mackay) = 11,600 solar households
- 6th 4300 (Springfield) = 10,300 solar households
- 7th 4207 (Beenleigh/Logan Village) = 10,200 solar households
- 8th 4211 (Nerang) = 10,200 solar households
- 9th 4209 (Coomera) = 9,390 solar households
- 10th 4305 (Ipswich) = 9,350 solar households
Search your postcode using the online search tool here: www.qld.gov.au/yoursolarpostcode