SUPPORTING LAW ENFORCEMENT: President Trump is supporting law enforcement and ensuring they have the tools, training, and information they need to protect our communities.
- President Trump is establishing a new executive Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice – the first commission on law enforcement in half a century.
- The Commission will study key issues facing law enforcement – like substance abuse, homelessness, and mental illness.
- The Commission will look at best practices for recruiting, training, and supporting law enforcement officers.
- A report and recommendations will be delivered to the President within a year.
- The President has made hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of surplus military equipment available to local law enforcement.
- Shortly after taking office, President Trump signed an Executive Order to help prevent violence against law enforcement officers at the Federal, State, Tribal, and local level.
CREATING SAFER COMMUNITIES: President Trump has committed his Administration to combating crime and creating safer communities for all Americans.
- The Trump Administration revitalized Project Safe Neighborhoods to help reduce violent crime in communities all around the country.
- The Department of Justice charged a record number of violent crime defendants in fiscal year (FY) 2018.
- The President has stepped up efforts to stop crime and drugs from flooding across our border.
- Customs and Border Protection prevented thousands of criminals from entering our communities and seized over 600,000 pounds of illegal drugs at the southern border.
- President Trump’s approach is smart on crime, understanding that helping former offenders return to society as productive citizens creates safer communities.
COMBATING CRIME: Thanks to the President’s efforts, crime rates in the United States are falling and America’s communities are safer.
- The violent crime rate in America has fallen for two consecutive years under President Trump, dropping 4.6 percent since 2016.
- Violent crime spiked in the two years prior to President Trump taking office.
- The murder rate has declined for two consecutive years under President Trump – after increasing in each of the prior two years.
- The murder rate has decreased by 7 percent since President Trump took office.
- The number of robberies fell by more than 50,000 from 2016 to 2018 nationwide.
- The number of property crimes is down, experiencing a 9 percent drop since 2016.
- There were 286,000 fewer burglaries in 2018 than 2016.