Laverton is a vibrant community that is loved for its connection to natural opens spaces, its village atmosphere and as a place where all the needs of daily life are within easy reach. This is part of the vision that Council heard from more than 1,500 responses and over 530 ideas gathered from locals during the Better Places Laverton project.
The Better Places Laverton place guide is now ready to be rolled out after adoption at the Council meeting on 8 September 2020 with four key themes to focus on cleaner and greener, a more vibrant place, a more connected community and celebration of character.
The place guide for Better Places Laverton includes 12 priority projects that will bring the vision for Laverton to life, including projects that can be implemented quickly, and some ideas that will evolve with community input. Projects include:
- master plans for the Aviation Road Village, Woods/Lohse Street trader precincts and the rail corridor
- refresh of the McCormack Park masterplan to include an indoor youth facility, outdoor water park, upgrades to creek crossings and provision of outdoor fitness equipment
- upgrading all eight local parks as a single coordinated project
- grass-roots clean-up and greening projects, such as the removal of redundant cyclone fencing, tree planting, a special hard rubbish removal program and cleaning blitz on public assets
- a Local Leaders Action Group that will lead activities and events to activate the village centres and community spaces
- safety improvements such as street lighting and widened footpaths along main walkways and routes connecting to key places within Laverton such as village centres, rail stations and parkland
- creating and improving recreational, pedestrian and cyclist missing links and shared user pathways
The Better Places model was a pilot project to create a holistic and integrated approach for designing change by taking on a place based style of thinking. Due to its success with the Laverton program, the attention will now turn to Better Places Spotswood and Better Places South Kingsville for launch in late September 2020.