A man has been charged with outstanding warrants and 18 offences as part of an ongoing investigation by police in the state’s north.
About 12pm yesterday (Monday 8 August 2022), officers from Mid North Coast Police District attended West Kempsey, after information was received that a man who was wanted on outstanding warrants was in the area.
The man was seen to exit a vehicle stopped in Leith Street, before officers approached the car.
As officers attempted to arrest the man, he allegedly resisted and punched one of the officers to the head. OC spray was deployed, and the man was able to be restrained.
During a search of the man, police located a machete strapped to his left leg.
He was taken to Kempsey Police Station and charged with three outstanding arrest warrants.
Additionally, he was charged with:
- Outstanding warrants x 3
- Drive conveyance taken without consent of owner x 2
- Aggravated break and enter and commit serious indictable offence, people there
- Dishonestly obtain property by deception x 2
- Police pursuit – not stop – drive dangerously
- Never licensed person drive vehicle on road
- Armed with intent commit indictable offence x 2
- Common assault
- Aggravated break and enter with intent armed
- Receive property-theft serious indicatable offence
- Assault officer in execution of duty
- Resist officer in execution of duty
- Carry cutting weapon upon apprehension
Police will allege in court that the charges relate to the following separate incidents;
- About 2.40am on Monday 1 August 2022, a home on Oceanview Terrace, Port Macquarie, was allegedly broken into and credit cards, mobile phones and two vehicles were stolen from the premises. The credit cards were allegedly to make a number of unauthorised transactions.
- About 2.30am on Wednesday 3 August 2022, a home on Boronia Street, Sawtell, was broken into and a vehicle was stolen. A short time later police attempted to stop the vehicle and a pursuit was initiated when it failed to do so. The pursuit was terminated for safety reason and the vehicle was later found abandoned on Euroka Road, South Kempsey.
- A home in Naiooka Street, South Kempsey, was broken into about 8.45pm on Sunday 7 August 2022. The occupants were threatened with a machete and a vehicle stolen from the home.
The 25-year-old man was refused bail to appear at Kempsey Local Court and was remanded in custody to reappear at the same court on Wednesday 19 October 2022.
Investigations into the incidents are continuing and anyone with information should contact Port Macquarie Police Station or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.