Yarra has made a $50 thousand donation to the Inner North Community COVID-19 Fund, to help soften the impacts of coronavirus (COVID-19) already hitting many in our community.
This forms part of our $7.4 million COVID-19 Community and Economic Relief Package, announced early April.
Thanks to this donation, along with contributions from Moreland and Darebin councils, groups being supported in Yarra include:
- Open Table, which is working with small fresh produce suppliers to provide vulnerable people with nutritious food that would have otherwise gone to waste.
- The Social Studio, which is making urgently needed medical scrubs for frontline healthcare workers.
- Belgium Avenue Neighbourhood House, which works with the North Richmond and Collingwood housing estates and is developing creative initiatives to engage with residents without requiring physical contact.
- Carringbush Adult Education, for online learning packs.
- The Boite‘s ThisConnected program: a series of online hangouts for musicians to share concerns, ideas and solutions.
The Inner North Community COVID-19 Fund, which provides ongoing fundraising for local community groups, will announce more grants over the coming weeks.
The fund provides emergency relief vouchers for families to buy essentials from local traders, rapid Response grants for not-for-profit community groups to respond in flexible and creative ways, and projects offering pathways to employment.
Anyone looking to support the community, and has the means, can also donate to the Inner North Community COVID-19 Fund.
We encourage those who have the capacity to please give. With around 10% of the population unemployed, there’s an immediate need for support.
“Some people in our community are hurting more than others, but there are opportunities to support these people, said fund executive officer Ben Rogers.
“If you can give, the Inner Northern COVID-19 Fund is a safe pair of hands that offers local grants for local people,” he said.
- Donate to the Inner North Community COVID-19 Fund
- See what other groups offer, and need, support in our Community Kindness Directory