Summer is synonymous with backyard entertaining, but before you fire up the barbeque it’s important to do a quick safety check.
Last summer, MFB and CFA fire crews responded to more than 100 barbecue fires involving LPG gas cylinders in Victoria.
Councillor Rob Steane said that gas barbecues, in particular, could be dangerous if not properly maintained.
“Gas escaping from your barbecue can lead to explosions or fires – LPG Gas is highly flammable and easily ignited,” Cr Steane said.
“So, to stay safe, ‘know the drill before you grill’. This means you should check that the gas cylinder, hose and connections are tight and there are no leaks.
“You can check for leaks by applying soapy water to the entire hose assembly, including the bottle’s valve and regulator, using a spray bottle or sponge. If no bubbles appear, it is safe to use.
“If you find a leak, turn off the gas bottle immediately,” he said.
“Also, always ensure your barbecue is a safe distance from walls, fences and other property,” Cr Steane added.