Clothes dryer ignites in Gisborne home

CFA crews were quick to suppress a laundry fire on Railton Court in Gisborne at 4.52pm on 15 July.

Clothes dryer ignites in Gisborne home

Photo: Gisborne Fire Brigade

Four CFA units from Gisborne and Riddell’s Creek were joined on scene by Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV) crews from Sunbury.

Smoke was issuing from the house upon arrival and firefighters assisted an elderly resident safely evacuate the premises.

Crews proceeded to the laundry area of the home where they discovered a clothes drier fully alight.

Incident Controller, Lieutenant Bevan Moody of Gisborne Fire Brigade said firefighters worked quickly to control the laundry fire.

“Within five minutes of arriving, our crews extinguished the fire,” Lt Moody said.

“A ceiling hook was used to gain access to the roof space above the dryer and a thermal imaging camera was used to ensure there was no further spread of fire.”

The incident was listed as under control at 5.08pm and crews remained on scene until a stop was issued at 5.30pm.

A pressure fan was used to clear the house of smoke and after the incident was deemed safe the power was restored to the premises and occupant was able to safely return.

“It is a timely reminder with dryers being used more frequently this time of year to clean the lint filter out regularly and let the dryer complete the cool down cycle before stopping,” Lt Moody said.

/CFA News Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.